There is a point every Roanoke winter when you can’t locate the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and frosty, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts may be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to find your Roanoke home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Look for gaps and breaks in strange areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the typical windows with functional capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Roanoke to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to address the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Roanoke a call at 540-466-1918 with any extra questions or possible replacement needs.